Tuesday 5 January 2010

The world isn't flat, nor is Norfolk

It's a fallacy that everybody pre Columbus thought the world was flat, 6th century BC Grecians already believed heavenly bodies were spherical. Just so the myth that all of Norfolk is flat. This part of Breckland may be no Lake District but there remains a pleasant undulation in the tilth. True the Lincolnshire/Cambridge borders can be a little sparse and The Broads are rightly not called The Heights but, as any cyclist or walker will tell you, the Peddars Way passing through this region certainly isn't puff free.
© J Reed

Another urban myth persists that my journey up the A11 was to relieve my worsening vertigo. Fear of heights is acrophobia whereas my affliction is a random dizziness. This can range from a light headed 'couple of beers' sensation to the necessity to sit down, even if you are half way up a viewing tower at the National Trust's Sherringham Park. Strangely flying isn't a problem but is part of the problem. Some of the condition for me is the feeling that you want to jump, a sensation I've had since walking over the canal footbridge from Shelton to Stoke in my polytechnic days. I am presently in remission, but a picture in todays Telegraph of a balancing artiste in Norway had my head wobbling like a nodding dog in the back of a 1970's Cortina.

No comments:

Post a Comment